I’ve never really been that into beauty, aside from splurging on a few eye palettes here and there, always associating it with vanity and that plastic Instagram Face aesthetic. My hair is usually done and I do put effort into makeup for a night out, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a facial or splurged on new palettes or skin tools.
Up until a few months ago, my skincare routine consisted of removing my makeup with micellar water, splashing some water on my face and applying moisturiser when my skin was feeling dry. Now it’s more like a seven-step routine, with oils, creams and regular masking (or self-care as I like to call it). I’ve discovered the confidence and empowerment that comes with embracing your natural beauty. And just imagining that all-over glow that makes you feel like a walking sunbeam brings a happy tear to my eye.
So I’ve decided to put my money where my
face mouth is and splurge on a few products and treatments that have caught my eye recently (I blame Instagram ads). Crossing everything that I look like Rosie HW by the time I’ve ticked these babies off my list.
Main image via @dirtyboysgetclean
- NuFace: Well, technically the NuFace mini ’cause a gal can’t afford to be splurging too much when she’s on a writer’s salary. It looks like a freaky vibrator but it’s actually a (magic) tool that delivers DIY micro-current facials and perfectly contoured cheeks. I can picture it now: red wine in one hand, NuFace in the other, wondering which hand I’m going to use to tell Netflix that YES I am still watching Gilmore Girls for the eighth time. Don’t judge me it’s a lifestyle. Periodt.
- Maison Margiela Replica Lazy Sunday Morning: Spoiler: I’ve tried this scent and it’s DIVINE. Except I only have a tiny 30mL vile that I got up-sold at the airport and I left wishing I’d just bought the full bottle (sad). It’s been dubbed the scent of the moment by literally every magazine that is relevant. You can pretty much SMELL the sun-soaked bedroom the scent evokes. Actual heaven.
- Glossier: That’s it. That’s the whole tweet. But seriously I’m so behind on this brand, and I feel like I’m missing out. Every product looks ah-MAZING, and I’ve got my eye on the Super Duo, Bubblewrap and Futuredew, bc who doesn’t love that fresh, dewy glow? I also love everything about their branding, packaging and socials – it’s all so Gen Z and I am so here for it.
- Brow lamination: ICYMI brow perms are a thing. I’ve been blessed with a natural arch that most people spend multiple waxing sessions to achieve, but I tend to let them get a little long – shapable but a little wild. So I’d love to wake up with those feathery, perfectly laminated arches that have taken the runway by storm. What a way to start the day.
- Barbara Sturm Sun Drops: You had me at ‘liquid umbrella for your skin’. Who knew SPF face serum could be so poetic? Facial sunscreen has never been my strong suit, but I’m down to try this dreamy little potion even if it will cost me a whole week’s rent.
- Anything by The Ordinary: It’s a cult-favourite brand, and I include at least one of their products in most of my beauty articles but I am still yet to try one. My skin is eczema-prone and I’ve also started to become a little self-conscious about fine lines, so I’ve got my eye on the Buffet Peptide Serum. Plus, I’m kind of lazy when I’m tired (which at this point is every damn day) so you had me at “multi-technology formula”.
- Milk Makeup: Another cult brand, and another one not available in Australia (curse this island). I’m really into their lip & cheek duo sticks cause blush is having a serious moment right now. But I’m also really into any product that means I don’t have to get my hands dirty cause I’m sick of ruining fresh-washed tops and white shoelaces with makeup stains from my fingers – and I’m lazy so a swipe-and-go situation works for me.
- Biologique Recherche Sérum de teint: Matte coverage used to be my thing, but I’m really vibing a dewy base these days, and this yet-to-be-released serum foundation will let me dip my toes into the dewy lewk without going full fashion week fresh. Plus the brand itself is definitely one Samantha from SATC would covet, so it’s a yes from me.
- Nail art: What used to be a luxury is now a necessity and I seriously feel naked without a coat (or three) of polish on my claws. Arty designs are all over my feed, and I wanna get a taste of that ‘gram-worthy glam. I’m thinking my first design will be astrology-based, cause mercury is in retrograde and all, and also it seems like a safe bet. Stay tuned for my review…
- A lash lift: Are bad lash days a thing? ‘Cause this morning I woke up with the craziest lashes, pointing all different directions even after I applied my go-to Better Than Sex mascara. So I’m hoping lash lift (and tint, duh) will tame these unruly lashes and give me that dreamy doe-eyed look.
- The Buff customised oil: Because who doesn’t want a custom-made bottle of magic? My skin is constantly fluctuating between Sahara desert dry and extra-dewy oily, plus it’s more sensitive than me when I’m tired (read: flares up at the slightest inconvenience), so I cannot wait to get my hands on my very own complexion-perfecting concoction. AND there’s a skin quiz – can it get any better?
- Rare Beauty: I’m OBSESSED with Selena Gomez’s new album, so when I heard she was dropping a makeup line named after said album, you best believe I signed up to the mailing list IMMEDIATELY. No clue what’s coming but if her perfectly curled locks and perfectly highlighted complexion is anything to go by, I’ll take the lot.